Friday, June 30, 2023

DAY DREAM

 DAY DREAM

 

I rode an ant in search of fairy-grottoes

Immortal realms with flocks of meandering butterflies

Toads and tree-frogs wandering in search of life

In deep caverns, a snake slumbers in reverie. 

 

At the grotto entrance, a swarm of bees swirled in dance

A wild flower of the crimson forest sensuous 

Bashful of fragrance and hue, the old rushes straightened up

Becoming an old immortal’s gently waving white hair

 

The ant crawled around, struggling to find life

Riding on its back a debt of love

Also, the forlorn fate of my Fatherland

Still as loyal, oh fragile threads of sunlight 

 

I asked the ant – where is it, the Pure-land or which way to Stillness?

Beyond the void, traces of birds in flight 

The voice of a blackened and bitter land from the earth

Lighting up my mind in place of the sunlight

 

I called the ant while silver clouds pondered

On the road of my wondering, my country anguished

Peeling away the past, heavenly beings shudder in shock 

Biting into the infinite expanse, a dream shattered in two

 

A nation, sunk in grief ever since

Midnight fires in the forest embracing dead and desiccated leaves

I go in search of a shattered heart

Starving for time, biting into nothingness.


Saigon 1984


Translated by Phe Bach


No comments:

Post a Comment