Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Scottie Nguyen: A quick summary of Journey to Whitney trip

Some years ago, I was diagnosed with serious health conditions. I thought hiking could give me a chance to find the answer of the cure I need. Not sure how helpful it was, but when I summitted Whitney with Nhu Luu a few years back after 9 days doing most of the JMT, I broke down in tears.
Some of you loving friends donated to my trip to Nepal to continue to my quest of bettering my health with Annapurna Circuit and Everest Base Camp. I remember Toan Ly was one of those who was generous toward my campaign. Since then, a whole lot of things have changed including successful surgery, rehab, and my health made significant improvement.
Recently, I embarked upon the High Sierra Trail with some of the finest people I can ask for. I told the members that trips like these, allow people to learn about themselves on the quest of discovery. They thanked me for being the group leader. I thought I was no more than a guide, a shepherd....and instead, I thanked them for allowing me to learn much more about myself.
Dr. Phe X. Bach and I will write a book about this trip but a quick summary for the Gram!!! Julie Nguyen
Day 1 - We camped at Crescent Meadows after driving for over 12 hours from Sac, SD to Whitney, eat, then drove again to Sequoia. Eric could not drive, I'm serious....
Day 2 - BearPaw, nope. We made it to 9 mile and camped above the trail. I busted my baby right toe hitting an old branch. What a brilliant way to start the trip. Si Phan made it to camp shortly after us. Things are looking bright for everyone, but me and C Mai Le, who struggled today.
Day 3 - We head to Precipice Lake. Julie and Eric pretty much speared this hike, but the X-Factor was C Mai Le. She blazed up to Hamilton Lakes, waited for me, then took off with Eric, and Julie NguyenPhe X. Bach and Hong Ha caught up to me at Hamilton, then Anh Michael T. Hoang arrived. I slept next to the creek, waiting for Si Phan. Couple hours went by, he finally arrived. The stars were aligned!!! As we climbed from Hamilton to Precipice, darkness descended upon Si Phan and I. Ohhlala....10:00PM and we got to the wrong lake. ALL OF US!!!
Day 4 - 3AM wake up, 4AM hike to make up for lost distance and the additional 17.7 mi to Kern Hot Spring. The 1000 foot climb out of the canyon then descend 3000 feet down to Kern was not totally disclosed. Bugs were nasty down below the descend, I bolted to the campsite after yet another 14+ hours of on-trail time. We got into the natural hot spring bath-tub. Si Phan took a diving into the mud, lost his flip flop. He carried the other the rest of the way.
Day 5 - We snoozed last night, until 7AM. Sort of chilling today since it's only 10 miles to Wallace Creek. Everyone got their trail legs. 7.7mi of only 1000 feet of elevation gain. Very moderate. Lunch at noon or so right!? Then we have the whole afternoon to climb the hill to Wallace Creek......Fast forward 14 hours later, Julie Nguyen ran down to grab the pack from Si Phan, who actually planned to sleep in the forest. Eric Trieu was coming from behind. I walked with flashlight from my phone because I was too lazy to pull out my headlamp until it was too sketchy.....and 11:00PM was when Eric and Si Phan got to the campsite. You guys don't realize how proud we are with Si Phan. At this point, we know he is the hardest hiker of us all. The physical hardship he had to overcome is incredible.
Day 6 - Things seem to be back in order as we make our way toward Trail Crest and camp at 13600 feet (900 feet of elevation below Whitney). We stopped at Guitar Lake for water, and sure enough, ran into a AHole JMT ultralighter, who, if I had known the whole story, would have heard an ear full from me. We trekked into darkness once again. Little Tweety (aka Whitney) kissed me on the cheek!
Day 7 - 3AM we woke up again, meditated, and shared the string of gratefulness to each other. Julie Nguyen C Mai Le and I got the see the sunrise from Whitney summit. Hong Ha was freezing cold when she got to the summit, and I saw the caring from everyone in their own way toward her. We did it together!!! Si Phan turned around at 7AM when he knows he would late everyone. As you should know "the brave ones are the ones that know how to turn around". He was the brave one today. More brave and self-less than you would ever known. I came down and met Julie Nguyen at Whitney Portal, looked for the van. It was carefully parked with the wheel turning to hide the electrical tape, signaling the hidden key. A lovely card from Jennifer Weeks, who was so humbled.....Eric asked if we need to get gas. I told him, Jennifer already filled the tank for us, watch!!! He turned on the engine.....darn right!!! 8:34PM the last hiker came down from the mountain. He hugged me, in total anguish, achieving, relief, and happiness. We slept at Limonite exit parking lot after giving our best efforts to drive.
The entire story will be published into our book "Journey to Whitney - xxxxxxxxxx"
I felt great.....as 2021 or 2022 Annapurna Circuit and Everest Base Camp had finally called my name!!!